Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Great Start

Hi all from Madalene! What a great start to the New Year--a new challenge and a new group of friends! Connection will be a great word to live with for a while.

I live in the northcentral mountains of Pennsylvania with my husband, Tom, and an energetic Golden Doodle named Terra. And since we need some more photos in this blog and I am encouraging you all to add some, I will break the ice with a photo of Terra about to start one of our morning walks.


I have had a very checkered career that included many years of homeschooling our three children, a few semesters teaching English on the college level, and a long stint as director of the local arts center. The kids are now all married with kids of their own and live in the Boston area.

I have been sewing for as long as I can remember, but didn't take my first quilting class until the late seventies. I began as a traditional quilter but discovered early on that I liked the design part of the process. It wasn't until the kids were all in college and grad school that I began to take quilting seriously and move in the direction of art quilting. Frustrated that I didn't have enough time to explore where this quilting might take me and with my job as assistant director of the local library, two years ago I left my job, with Tom's encouragement, and it was one of my best decisions!

Like Penny, I dye my own fabrics and have been playing with paint as well. I also like handstitching with perle cotton of varying thicknesses. And after some time just making quilts to try out new techniques and explore, I am now entering some shows again.

I also love homegrown fruits and veggies, yoga, hiking, music, a good book I can get lost in. . . .The list is long. And I am looking forward to getting to know the other members of the group!


No comments:

Post a Comment