I really wrestled with this challenge, coming up blank for a number of weeks until one day I realized that I was just trying too hard. If I was making a quilt based on the word “Serendipity,” I should make it serendipitously. And so I began. I could think of no more serendipitous fabric than one of my snow dyes, and I chose a piece with teal-y blue highlights and lots of the texture that snow-dyeing produces. I put in some cerulean blue slashes with hand reverse applique to bring out the blue highlights and then I was stuck so I set it aside until the next serendipitous moment.
I decided to sandwich the top and do some machine quilting to emphasize the textures in the background. I was playing with shapes to applique on top of this when I serendipitously thought of the nautilus shape, a shape that has always fascinated me, and wondered what it would look like if I exploded it.
I obviously liked it so much I added another and then exploded some circles as well. In the spirit of serendipity, these are all non-fused, raw edged, and machine appliqued. And this was a stretch for me, since usually I like to finish the edges, but I think the frayed fuzziness fits the serendipity theme.
I added some clusters of French knots in perle cotton for a little more texture, faced it and it was done!