Sunday, December 2, 2012

Wow!! I work sooooo slowly...Part of the problem was that I'd scrapped my ideas a week ago when I realized I had very little time. I'd hoped to do a quilt-as-you-go piece, inspired by Ann Brauer's work. (Article about her in latest Quilting Arts; her studio/shop is about 45 minutes from where I live.) Then...I really had no time to work last week, except one evening, when I created this as a jumping off point:



Thought I might just slash and re-piece until I came up with something I liked. But I didn't get to a place that I liked. Got as far as what's posted below, and decided that was too busy.



So...I cut up what was left of the original piece and made it into a leaf. Then added the rest. The background is a piece from a class with Jan Myers-Newbury.





I still have some work to do at the top. And then it needs to be quilted. Hope to get to that this week!


As usual, it's been a learning opportunity! :)  I hope to develop a main idea next time and let that inform my work.


3 comments:

  1. I've been away from the blog for a few days so missed the latest pieces. Appreciate all our pieces. I even like what you think is too busy, Deborah. But love your leaves on the shibori. It has such nice movement. Just enough complexity balanced with simplicity. Thanks for including the 1st photo. Isn't it amazing to see the "transformation?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away from the blog for a few days so missed the latest pieces. Appreciate all our pieces. I even like what you think is too busy, Deborah. But love your leaves on the shibori. It has such nice movement. Just enough complexity balanced with simplicity. Thanks for including the 1st photo. Isn't it amazing to see the "transformation?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast of the strongly patterned leaves floating on that shibori. Those two little touches of red really get your eye to move around the piece. It will be interesting to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete